Monday, November 10, 2008

My first review - Dananananaykroyd from Glasgow

Hello Everyone!!
So, recently, as a class assignment, we had to go out on the town, see a live performance, and write a 400 word review about it. After doing so, I've decided to quit school and just write reviews for a modest living. 

...
...
...
...
...

Just kidding!!! I did enjoy it though - fun assignment. Chris thought I should post it up here to share with ya'll. 
Since arriving in Liverpool a couple months ago from Seattle, I've been on a mission to find new and exciting bands that I could shout to my friends about, however I remained unenthused - until tonight. I reluctantly showed up at Bumper, one of MTV's Liverpool Music Week's official venues. The club itself had two stages; one situated up near the entrance, the other much larger and further back. At the core, a quite impressive wrap around bar joined the two rooms, and I decided to order a somewhat overpriced drink. Although the venue was overloaded with twenty-somethings on a Tuesday night, I never felt claustrophobic.
After a few minutes of people watching, Dananananaykroyd from Glasgow was announced and took the stage by storm. Within seconds a scrawny, baby-faced singer was standing up on a speaker screaming over danc-y, progressive, sometimes math-y rock music. Two vocalists bounced in between the four other members on stage, and they were just as rowdy. Switching off from screaming and crooning the band was reminiscent of the Blood Brothers, a well-loved Seattle band with energetic live antics, and I instantly felt at home. Each song was performed with precision and during tempo changes, the band remained spot on. Songs were also well crafted - a perfect blending of originality and catchy hooks along with two drummers rhythmically intertwining. I enjoyed the music so much that I wanted to buy the album, but kicked myself for not bringing enough cash. Fortunately, this certainly will not be the last time I see the band live.
The best part of Dananananaykroyd is their energy and ability to involve the audience. Not only were people clapping along, they were interacting with each other - very unlike most audiences that keep to themselves and bob their heads. A couple times throughout the set, audience members bombarded the stage and danced while the band rocked on. Even me, the short one who normally gets enveloped by the crowd in the back, was able to get involved by creating a "tunnel of love" with other audience members; raising and joining hands while band members ran underneath. Throughout the show, the singers mixed amongst the crowd dolling out hugs whenever possible. In the eleven years that I have been attending rock shows, this definitely ranks high on my list of bests. No wonder they were invited to tour with Foals! Five Gold Stars!



Seriously - this band was killer. Hopefully when you visit us, they will be playing a show nearby that we can take you to! :D Check em out on myspace: www.myspace.com/dananananaykroyd - Not sure if the recordings will do them justice - they are definitely a band to experience live.

Peace! xoxoxox

Nic

No comments: